Project: Vidya Arpan
Why Girl Child Education?
The new National Education Policy and Sustainable Development Goal 4 share the goals of universal quality education and lifelong learning. Although the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan has made tremendous gains in universalizing elementary education, much needs to be achieved in terms of quality education and students’ achievement levels. Much needs to be done at a higher level of education especially at High School (10th) level as well as for 12th standard. The dropout percentage of the students belonging to poor families especially girls at this level is much higher.
Most of the girls in higher classes are first-generation learners but due to the low quality of education being imparted in the government school are unable to cope up with the syllabus and despite having made the effort to stay in school overcoming various obstacles are unable to perform well, which in turn, sabotages their future. The families can’t support their help/remedial-classes as that is an additional economic burden on the parents. This situation gets worsened with the science students who find more difficulties to cope up with the syllabus. It is imperative to create opportunities by giving additional support for quality education belonging to the girl students of poor families. This will enable self-reliance, boosts economic growth by enhancing skills, and improves people’s lives by opening up opportunities for better livelihoods. Thus the project proposes to run remedial classes on the subjects-Science, Physics and Mathematics to raise girls student’s academic performance for the 10th and 12th standards.
Why Girls School and Steps to Identify School:
- Identification and finalizing of the school :
- The main reason for shortlisting and finalization of the school depended on the following factors:
- The school needed to be a senior secondary school,
- Needs to cater to the underprivileged section of the society
- Should have girl students as a majority (keeping in mind the vision of VIDYA ARPAN)
- Schools ‘willingness to collaborate (keeping in mind the administrative, and logistics arrangements would be needed from the school’s staff and management)
- Approval letter from District Education office as well school administration
Teaching Learning-Pedagogy in Use:
Real-time derivation of formulae using real mode
- Models of real cylinders, spheres and cones used for students to touch, feel, imagine, and then arrive at formulae derivations.
- Writing collective answers–without the ‘fear’ of errors
Inviting the knowledge of the whole class to be able to write an answer to a difficult problem on the blackboard – without denying the errors which may come from students. Reinforcing among the students that a good quality answer can only come from a real understanding of concepts. Errors can be corrected – only when we underscore our concepts again and again.
- 5 minutes of revision tests before starting the actual class.
Framing a 5minute question paper/answer sheet, and distributing it among the class – based on the concepts taught in the previous class. And naming it as a ‘5-minute test’.
Occasionally design of such tests keeps the students’ attention and participation active.
- Use of digital media
Picking up a particular topic and watching the whole process through Animations – carefully selected. The students find this mode of study engaging. This helps information retention as well.
- Framing Objective type assignment with a little higher difficulty level
This enforces revision of concepts thoroughly, keeping in mind – not to impart extra study burden on the students. In this model students are free to refer to reference books, ask their friends and teachers as well.
Examination Score Oriented
- Distribution of printed collated formulae, important theorems, questions to the students – primarily to ensure the students have a one-point resource of exam material.
- Selection of Important chapters from exam point of view in collaboration with school teachers and preparing the weaker students accordingly.